10 Stolen Vehicles Recovered and Identified with DataDot
A Great Start to 2018!
Over 10 stolen vehicles were recovered and identified through the use of DataDot Technology during the Festive Season. The vehicles included a Hilux, Etios, UD Truck, H100, Polo and Yaris.
Over 3.9 million new vehicles in South Africa are now marked with DataDot Microdots. Vehicle Crime Syndicates are wary of motor vehicles fitted with a DataDot Microdot system because they are aware that the vehicle - or any part of it - can be identified by one of the tiny dots that are sprayed onto the vehicle.
Some facts you need to know:]
- Our first client - Avis - applied microdots to their fleet of vehicles and not only realised a drop in theft, but also an increase in recovery of over 50% in both cases.
- All new vehicles sold in South Africa must have microdot protection in terms of a 2012 government regulation.
- These regulations also require a vehicle to be microdotted as part of the police clearance process – typically affecting any second-hand vehicle that has had, for example, a colour or engine change.
- Statistics show that the theft rate of vehicles fitted with DataDot is lower than average, whilst the recovery of stolen microdotted vehicles is higher than average
Microdots are an essential protection for owners and have proved to be a huge benefit to police and insurance companies in assisting in the recovery and identification of stolen vehicles.
- DataDot South Africa is a proud founding member of The Microdot Association of Southern Africa (MASA) which was established to ensure the successful implementation of the Department of Transport National Standard SANS534-1 and Regulation 56. MASA’s main principles are transparency and accountability to the industry and to the general public.
Find out more about microdots.