10 Safety Tips to think about before Cycling!
Here are 10 safety tips to keep in mind:
- Be aware that the threat is almost always ahead of you or as you pass because cyclists are unable to stop, turn instantly and take off in the other direction as easily as a pedestrian.
- Try not to take valuable possessions with you – you have little to lose by handing over a small amount of cash but the size of potential losses does impact your willingness to hand it over and get away.
- Avoid strangers trying to stop you or engage with you (even if they are smiling and friendly).
- Avoid groups of people loitering on the street. If you have to pass ride as far away as feasible at speed.
- Ride in groups or if you are on your own near other cyclists including strangers. There is safety in numbers.
- Find out robbery and assault hotspots on your routes and avoid them.
- Do not listen to music through earphones – be aware at all times.
- Be creative with your route – try and not be predictable.
- Carry a personal safety weapon like Pepper Spray - BUY yours now.
- Give your bike an identification to help curb stolen goods being traded in the 2nd Hand Goods market
Bicycles have a similar identity crisis to vehicles in that they have only 1 VIN or Serial number identifier. This issue is further compounded as there is no centralised database to capture this information and link it to owners. Thus the trade in new bicycles and second hand bicycles is completely open to criminal enterprise. Thieves are quick to swop or exchange parts on a bicycle after it has been stolen, altering its appearance and make-up, and making identification impossible by the owner or the police.
So why DataDot Technology?
- Microdots are used to mark the bicycles, making the identification of the bicycle completely secure even if markers like the serial number are tampered with and removed.
- Microdots contain a unique 10 digit PIN laser etched onto each of the 0.5mm in diameter dots - up to 3,000 of these microdots are then fitted to each bicycle making it impossible to change the identity of the bicycle and making the bicycle easily identifiable.