What is a RPC or Request for Police Clearance Certificate?
In addition to all manufactured and imported vehicles being fitted with microdots, legislation has also made it compulsory from September 2012 that vehicles, motorbikes, trailers, quads, tractors, trucks, mining equipment and construction equipment may need a Police Clearance Certificate if one of the following reasons apply :
- The ownership of the vehicle has changed
- The colour of the vehicle has changed
- The engine has been replaced
- The vehicle has previously been reported stolen and then recovered
- If the engine or chassis number differs from the number on the registration certificate (even by one digit)
- If no documentation is received from the previous owner of the vehicle
- If the VIN has been updated
A SARPCCO clearance is required if a vehicle is exported to one of the following SARPCCO countries - Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The RPC Procedure is designed to ensure that vehicle information captured on the National Traffic Information System (e-NaTIS) corresponds with the actual vehicles on South African roads in terms of description, VIN and engine numbers. Completing this procedure will have some distinct BENEFITS for you.
- Accurate and up to date paperwork generally results in a higher vehicle market value.
- Liability can be avoided for outstanding fines or licence feees of someone else.
- There will be no complications with the annual renewal of the licence disk.
Three different offices will assist you to complete Police Clearance procedure.
Local Vehicle Registration Office
Microdot Fitment Centre
Local Police Clearance Office
Make sure you call the offices before going and enquire about office hours, which areas they serve and the busiest times of the day.
Decide which option fits your personal situation
Take note of the documentation applicable to each option
Once you have the documentation follow the steps below in order to obtain your Police Clearance
To find out if your vehicle has been fitted with DataDot and where your nearest DataDot Accredited Fitment Centre is click on the link below :
Read more about microdots and the vehicle industry